This is a 3-day intensive barista course suitable for beginners who are interested to learn about espresso making, milk frothing & latte art in depth.
On day 1, the foundation course focuses on the key skills required to set a grinder, make espresso and foam, and texture milk for cappuccinos. This course allows one to gain an introductory understanding of the coffee itself and set a foundation from which to build practical skills for milk technique and latte art, while implementing health and safety practices and customer service.
On day 2 and 3, the course builds on the concepts and skills introduced in the Foundation course. It is ideal for someone who has barista skills experience and wants to explore how to improve coffee quality and prepare for more complex job functions found in the barista profession. Through this interactive course, learners will gain a deeper understanding of the coffee itself, specifically the impact of a coffee’s variety, origins and processing methods on flavour; the parameters of coffee quantity, grind texture, water quality and shot time and their interaction when dialling in a brew recipe; drink construction and taste differences; workflow management and efficiency, sensory aspects of the espresso extraction; milk handling and techniques as well as latte art. In addition to coffee preparation, this course also covers key concepts regarding health and safety, customer service and basic business practices.
- Coffee Beans : Different between Arabica and Robusta
- Coffee Beans: Origins, Varieties & Processing
- Coffee Beans: Single Origins vs. Blends
- Espresso Brewing Protocol: Grind, Dose, Tamp & Brew
- Factors that Affect Taste & Texture of Espresso
- Strength vs. Extraction Theory & Application
- SCA Flavour Wheel & Espresso Tasting
- Milk Foaming Techniques
- Basic Milk Pouring & Latte Art Technique
- Milk Chemistry & Milk Alternatives
- Espresso Based Menu
- Workspace Management & Workflow
- Cleaning, Health & Safety
- Customer Service & Café Management
Prerequisite: None (No prior bar experience required)
Course Duration: 3 Days / 21 Training Hours
Course Time: 10 am to 5-6 pm
Course fees are inclusive of the following:
- Light lunch on each training day
- Supplies & materials required for training
The SCA Coffee Skills Program is recognised in over 65 countries. The certification may be useful for career advancement or to participate in higher level industry activities. The SCA Foundation & Intermediate Examination & Certificates are optional and you may select the option of "With SCA Certification " or "No Required" upon checkout.